Friday, October 28, 2016

The Mourning

Today I had to gaze upon the dead body of a dear brother-in-law who passed away suddenly and unexpectedly from a heart attack.  I was joined by his mother, his wife, his sisters and brother, and his son, along with a number of other relatives.  We tend to be fairly private in our affairs, so I won't say too much.  Now, I mostly have the memories of being with him off and on over the nearly 40 years that I have known him.  Among our family pictures hanging on our wall are some of him as a young boy.  Later he was very successful in his studies and this led to a long running career as a businessman.  With many older parents and other relatives, he was the last person I expected to get The Call about.  But so it happens as God gives life and places special people in our lives for a time, but then takes them away according to His eternal plan.

6 comments:

Max Coutinho said...

Looney,

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. May the soul of your brother-in-law be in peace.

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." - Isaiah 41:10

James Pate said...

My condolences to you and your family.

Rummuser said...

My condolences to you and your family and prayers to give you strength to bear with this loss.

Looney said...

@Max, James and Rummuser,

Thanks for the comments. Few people close to me have passed away during my life, and this is the first time I have had to concern myself with the logistics and consequences of such an event. I suppose one part of adulthood is being familiar with loved ones passing away.

Max Coutinho said...

Looney,

You're welcome. I know all too well what you mean...but eventually this sort of events come to us, it's all part of the cycle of life. G-d Be with you.

Inklings said...

My sympathy to you and your family. I pray you will find comfort.