Monday, October 31, 2016

Checking your Urn'ings

Singapore's relentless drive for efficiency has resulted in a standardization of urn sizes for remains that is a bit smaller than what was provided in Indonesia.  Normally this wouldn't matter, but Singapore also has a government high-rise cemetery for storing urns with their memorial plaques in a clever vertical structure.  This is all part of a complex with industrially efficient crematoriums.  I am wondering a bit about the carbon efficiency of all this, but no doubt this will be taken care of the next time I have to return here.

Today's activities were certainly appropriate for Halloween.  It was one of taking urn measurements, discussing plaque layouts, and picking a proper location in the Christian side of the facility.  The plaques that I saw all had Christian verses on them, so I was asked to help pick out one for the plaque.  I recommended Isaiah 41:10 as offered by Max, but they instead chose Philippians 4:7 -

"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Since this will be inscribed in Chinese, I will give this version:

"神所賜超過人能了解的平安,必在基督耶穌裡,保守你們的心思意念"

In case anyone else is thinking this might be a good place for a loved one, I will include this list for you (in Singapore dollars):


More details on this are here.


No comments: