Thursday, September 15, 2016

The Chinese Moon Cake Festival

My wife and I enjoyed our evening walk to the sight of a full moon.  Today is the Chinese Moon Cake Festival (中秋節).  This festival was to commemorate a Chinese uprising.  According to the legend, the Moon Cakes had a message concealed in them giving the time in which the Chinese were to all rise up and kill all the foreigners in order to overthrow the Mongolians.  Since the Mongolians employed other non-Chinese, that meant long noses and those who could grow beards would not survive the night.  Something for this foreigner to ponder as I get ready to head off to bed with a Chinese on 中秋節.

6 comments:

Rummuser said...

This post brings to mind India's first war of independence - http://www.thebetterindia.com/59404/chapati-movement-india-revolt/

Ursula said...

Looney, you know me well enough to know that I am not always sure of what I am going to say isn't better swallowed rather than aired.

The Chinese Moon Cake Festival a lovely tradition. Anything that brings friends and families together and celebrates life and a harvest. However, and not so fortunately, first thing popped in my mind that most Chinese do appear to have round faces. A slight variant being that of a more tapered, heart shaped face. But, on the whole, round.

Anxiously awaiting your reply,
U

Looney said...

@Rummuser, the article brings new meaning to the food adjective, "revolting".

Looney said...

@Ursula, you remind me a bit of my time in Japan, sitting on the commute train looking at all the tired faces around me. It seemed that there was a great variety of shapes and skin tones to them, so that I had wondered that they were formerly many kinds of people that had merged to become Japanese. Chinese look a bit different, but they too have many shapes. Perhaps this is a problem of having been living with them too long.

Inklings said...

Hopefully you survived the night. :D

Looney said...

@Inklings, yes, barely.