Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Disrupted Plans

The Chinese drill was moving along smoothly with the first 10,000 character and word drills nearly complete.  The lists the words come from have a lot of redundancy, so they represents maybe 2,000 words or characters, covering mostly basics and into the lower intermediate levels.  My routine was smooth, so it looked like I would be well on my way to achieving my goal of getting through all the intermediate drills and into the advanced levels.

But then there is always something to mess up the plans.  In this case it was an email from Western Seminary informing me that the third semester of Biblical Greek was being made available again for the summer.  This was my original plan for the winter/spring term, but the class was removed from the course schedule, which is why I jumped into the Chinese drill in the first place.

So now I need to look at winding down the Chinese drill I have been doing and rearranging my brain to work with classical and Biblical Greek again.  The part I am thankful for is that now I can read much simplified character text (mainland China) about as well as I read the traditional characters (Taiwan).  Hopefully I can come back to the Chinese studies after another semester or two, since I might need one more seminary class to complete the diploma requirements that I was targeting.

7 comments:

Inklings said...

I wish you good luck with it all.

Rummuser said...

Just what was perhaps needed to keep your mind agile and nimble!

Max Coutinho said...

Hi Looney,

You can always re-start later on. Life got in my language drills too *nodding*.

Cheers

Looney said...

@Inklings, it seems at this point of life that I can proceed much more consistently towards a learning objective than when I was younger.

Looney said...

@Rummuser, indeed!

Looney said...

@Max, I will be looking forward to the restart. Was wondering where you disappeared to for a week or two, but I guess we all have interrupts.

Max Coutinho said...

Looney, from times to times I have to go out to collect information :).

Cheers