Wednesday, March 30, 2016

And The Trump Shall Resound.

This is about Donald Trump, and not the song from which the above phrase was drawn, nor about the Bible passage from which the phrase was adapted.

I am not at all a Trump supporter or fan.  I am just an alien and stranger here, which means that I can look at things from a more, um, unbiased perspective.  So Trump is a crude talker with no sense of propriety.  Certainly that would disqualify him as a presidential candidate on the planet where I come from, but we are here on Earth and it is not even permissible for me to name the planet from which I come nor are any of my cultural oddities tolerated here.  So I will not attempt to judge Trump according to my standards.

But what are the standards of Earth?  Bruce Willis?  Or maybe we would like to consider some typical uplifting rap lyrics.  There may have been a time when people kept their foul language under control, at least in public, but now crude language is pretty much the standard.  Today much of America wouldn't be able to communicate if they didn't have the F-word.  It is a noun, a verb, an adjective, an adverb, and even extends to a few linguistically yet-to-be identified categories.  There are, of course, some oddballs who today maintain a distinction between their public and private language.  This was considered respectable behavior when I was young, but today is deemed to be somewhere between two-faced and hypocritical.  I would argue that Trump is actually a centrist, since the use of bad language all the time is now the American norm, but Trump's language is more of a middle of the road type of foul language and much more limited in its rage than Black Lives Matters, Feminists, and especially university professors.  Certainly there is some sincere anger both in Trump's rhetoric and in his followers, but again, this is more middle of the road, and much more tame than other groups that are accepted by the American mainstream.

When this election is all done, I hope to gather up all my notes and send them back to my home planet for some more expert analysis.

8 comments:

Rummuser said...

It will be inappropriate for me to comment. But I like to read your take on your local politics. I even share some insights with my local fans of the US political scene.

Inklings said...

I will never vote for Trump, not even if I have to write someone else in. I am still in shock that he has gotten as far as he has. I'm not an Obama fan either, but he looks good in comparison to Trump.

Looney said...

@Inklings, you must be from the same alien planet that I am from!

Looney said...

@Rummuser, I am curious what the reaction is to all this in your neighborhood!

Rummuser said...

We have had Trump clones in our political scene too and so comparisons are made. Scandals about our politicos are no longer startling and so when we come across something there, we simply nod and say, they are all the same and move on.

Looney said...

@Rummuser, that seems a little simplistic: assuming that all politicians are the same. Fortunately we have committees of intellectuals who analyze our politicians behavior and then instruct us on the which ones we are to consider scandalous and which ones are to be considered saints so that we don't negligently try to make these judgments on our own.

Rummuser said...

We do have those pundits too Looney. We simply ignore them.

Max Coutinho said...

Hi Looney,

Now, I just sit and watch the American chips fall where they may. Let's see what will come in November. But Ted Cruz seems to be rebounding. Using POTUS' team's slogan in Israel (against Bibi): Anyone but Clinton/Sanders.

Cheers