Saturday, February 27, 2016

Guilt

I woke up with a stuffy nose in the middle of the night.  Clearly a cold was coming on, so I got up and sent a note to my swim partner telling him I wouldn't be able to make it to the lake this morning.  Yes, I missed a swim.  The bad part of this is that I don't yet know if my swimming partner got the email before he drove to the lake.

The last temperature reading was 53 degrees, which is getting nice and warm now.  I did 3,000 yards a week ago and felt fairly comfortable getting out.  Given the climate here, it seems like spring has already sprung, with flowers on the trees and leaves sprouting out of the bare winter trunks.  Last year I had a long illness which caused me to miss nearly all of January for swimming, but this year I stayed healthy until today.  Thus, I managed to swim at least once a week, usually twice, and rarely three times throughout January and February.  I was thinking that January would be the hardest, but in fact the temperature warmed shortly after New Year so that I was really feeling like this had become a pointless show.  It is much more difficult to walk across a frosty beach into the water and out again than when the air temperature is in the 50's or 60's.  So I will note this as the first year that I succeeded in swimming regularly throughout the winter.  It is God who grants me the health to do such things.  And my own disorder that causes me to pursue such a goal.

3 comments:

Ursula said...

Commiserations. You reminded me that I haven't been proper ill in ages. Soon I'll be old enough to qualify as a "tough old bird", no good for roasting. Just throw me in the broiler and make some stock out of me on which you may base chicken soup for the soul.

If you had "a long illness" last year you certainly didn't let on or, maybe, I didn't pick up on it. But then I am the world's worst nurse. Have a tender, I don't know, something. I will bring you grapes. And promptly sit on where it will hurt the patient. Which hurts me even more. Bedside manners not my strong suit.

I am not sure abut this swimming lark of yours in freezing conditions. As you know I used to do it as a youngster, and my mother is hard to keep out of water in any condition (but then, astrologically, she is a fish). Now? I shiver under the (hot) shower in our very cold bathroom. That's what God granted me. Extremes.

Gute Besserung,
U

Looney said...

I am terribly fearful of cold showers as well. Unless it is just after the swim.

I have another coworker who swam every day for 40 years straight. God granted him good health as well. Mine is mixed, since I am usually fit and active, but periodically I get smacked down for a few weeks by the common flu. It is God's way of reminding me that life is short.

Rummuser said...

My best wishes for a quick recovery from you cold. Having recovered recently from one, I can sympathise!