Saturday, January 09, 2016

Local Pool Heater Breakdown

The pool is an outdoor one where a few hundred people swim laps each day throughout the year.  The result is that the pool has closed and the swimmers must either skip their swims or find a differently swimming hole.

Sadly, none of them have sought to join me at the lake.  This year the weather was very cold in December, so that the lake temperature went down to its coldest by the New Year.  I have been swimming twice a week, since things are busy, which has been quite delightful.  Hopefully I can increase this to three times.  It is just me and a few coots.  Temperatures have gotten a bit warmer over the last week with the rain showers coming through, so we are likely a degree or two warmer into the mid-40's now.  Thankfully I haven't gotten sick so far this season, since a cold stopped me from swimming for a month starting in early January last year.  My goal is to have this be the first year I can swim regularly in the lake for the entire winter.

2 comments:

Benton said...

Such a shame that the electric heater has broke. That is just one of the downsides with electric heaters. We recently opted for a solar powered outdoor pool, as they are more reliable and cost effective. We hired a local solar pool company who worked with us to create our perfect outdoor pool, and we love it!

Benton @ Pool Solar & Spa

Looney said...

Benton, you might want to re-read the post first. As long as there is enough solar to keep the lake ice-free, we are good to go!