Thursday, December 17, 2015

The Social Justice Empire Strikes Back?

I am still struggling to understand the hoopla around the latest warming over of the Star Wars brand.  Discussions at work have morphed into critiques of the quality of the films, and in what order a wannabe star wars noob might see the earlier films.  Then there is the other extreme of heated political commentary.  My advice is this:  Watch the films when you are too young to know the difference between good and bad, enjoy them, then get over it.

"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.  When I became a man, I gave up childish ways." - 1 Corinthians 13:11

But then again, I am not Paul and am known to periodically return to childhood temporarily.  Or maybe for extended periods.  The important thing is to not try to mix adult thinking into childlike fantasies, and vice versa.  Bipolar distinctions must be maintained.

4 comments:

Max Coutinho said...

Hi Looney,

I agree. I mean, I'm a fan of Star Wars but come on...I don't go crazy about it and I certainly do not talk about it in public. It's a private thing. But adult folks out there have been behaving like children for the past week: do you think it's a way of re-living their happiest childhood moments? A way to escape the stress of adulthood? Immature behaviour, nevertheless.

Have a blessed weekend, Looney. :)

Cheers

Looney said...

Max, you have a blessed weekend as well. May the Force be with you!

So I think that there is always an inner child yearning to be free, but being an adult means keeping a lid on it.

Max Coutinho said...

The Force (G-d) Is with us :)

Exactly.

Cheers

Rummuser said...

I have just been informed by my daughter in law that I will have no choice in the matter and will have to accompany her and my son to see the latest version sometime during the ensuing week. Since neither work regular hours even a matinee seems a distinct possibility. I actually look forward to it.