Monday, November 09, 2015

In Racism We Trust?

Periodically I make a hopeless attempt to process the apparent explosion of racism and condemnation of racism that is going on.  Part of this is just gathering data, but I can't help doing a little preliminary processing:

1. There is the recent frantic efforts to get rid of the Confederate flag as if it meant the same thing to African Americans as the Swastika did for Jews.  As a northerner who grew up in the south, I am somewhat mystified.  It wasn't my flag, but I had not viewed it as a symbol of oppression.  What is peculiar about this exercise is that the screaming is coming from the left, who don't seem to know that the Confederate flag was the flag of the Democratic party.  Isn't that a bit like the neo-NAZIs suddenly taking offense at the Swastika?  I am all for repentance and forgiveness, but this has a certain surreal character that I can't quite grasp.

2. Then there is the resignation of the president of the University of Missouri who doesn't seem to be able to bring the little racist incidents to a stop.  Now being a Christian, I certainly believe that "all men are CREATED equal", but Christian beliefs are unconstitutional, especially in a state school, so I would be reluctant to condemn a non-Christian for violating Christian teaching with his racism.  We must also note that these days every student at the school knows that every man, women, transgendered, queer, polygendered, xenogendered, ... did not EVOLVE equal" - no matter what the vice chancellor for diversity, inclusion and equity says - so maybe someone can explain to me what the secular principle is that is being violated?  In fact the students know these things because it is mandated by the government that all children be taught these things.  OK, so there is a law against racism, which we should certainly obey, but the law is in direct conflict with the teachings of the university regarding the origin of humanity/huwomanity so it will likely have no more force than marijuana laws, which are likewise in direct conflict with other university teachings.

There are more such things I could note, but will stop here.  As I said, my Christian theology compels me to examine myself periodically for any racist tendencies, even if they are merely in my thoughts, and eliminate them.  America, however, is not a Christian nation, nor do I understand the principles that it appears and/or claims to be following.

6 comments:

Max Coutinho said...

Hi Looney,

1. Even my Jewish brothers need to differentiate between the Nazi Swastika and the Hindu Swastika (which differ in angle). A Hindu man, in New York, had a Swastika in his newspaper-stand and he had to remove it because it offended the Jews - come on, people...

2. What is happening to America? One of these days, we'll see an attack on Christmas and on Xmas too.

The world is going crackers.

Cheers

Looney said...

In the US they teach us that the NAZIs were a right wing Christian sect, so we generally assume that the swastika is a symbol that originated in Germany and has Christian roots. It was not until much later in life that I began to learn otherwise, but if I correct someone on this matter they will immediately deduce that I am sort sort of dangerous, deranged radical who probably also thinks that Hillary is a space alien!

As for what is happening, all I can see is a nation that has decided to establish Nothing as its formal religion and god, and is now schizophrenically fabricating moral tenets to this religion, which are sometimes based on total licentiousness, and the rest of the time hyper authoritarianism. So I would call it "totalitarian anarchy". Hopefully Americans will get tired of this.

Max Coutinho said...

They teach the same in Europe: the NAZIs were a right wing Christian evil group. But the truth is, the NAZIs were a left wing Pagan sect that fought to end Christianity and impose a twisted form of Mysticism based on the past glory of Germanic Paganism.
lol It's sad when people react to the truth in the most unbecoming of ways. "Hillary is a space alien" LOL LOL well....

Yes, indeed, hopefully Americans (and others) will get tired of it...

Cheers

Rummuser said...

You have racism there and we have casteism and religious intolerance here and both have been receiving the left wing cacophony in the recent past because the ruling dispensation in the centre and many important states is the right wing Hindu Nationalist party. It is fascinating to watch from the sidelines the ding dong battles going on between the pro and against sides in the media as well as the social media. I instigate debates and withdraw and watch from the sidelines. My free entertainment.

Max Coutinho said...

Rummy, I'm adopting that stance too. Nowadays, I just watch them go crazy.

Looney said...

I think we have reached the point where the anti-racist activists will deliberately stir up racism so they can become heroes for condemning it. Better to keep out of the line of fire.