Saturday, March 21, 2015

&*^%$@# Bam! Wam! Pao!!!

I love Asian names.  There was a Mr. Hu I worked with for a time.  Recently it was brought to my attention that there was a woman named Sue Yu, who had a propensity for lawsuits.  I fell in love with and married a Wu, although my misogynist upbringing tells me that it is the man who is supposed to do the Wuing.  The most recent one is in the news and her name is Ellen Pao, who is engaged in a gender discrimination lawsuit with a Silicon Valley venture capital firm.  The news has her legally punching well beyond the welterweight class, in spite of her petite frame.  But the jury is still out, or to be more accurate, hasn't been sent out yet, so we have to wait for a final decision. A Fortune magazine article on this affair is here which adds some more twists.  Some more claims are here, which I don't care to summarize.

I don't know nearly enough to comment on the particulars of this.  It just has me reflecting on the idea that too many men in high paid jobs is symptomatic of a misbehaving boys club.  Perhaps it is, but I doubt that lawsuits will do anything other than make the misbehaving boys more cautious.  Then there seems to be a notion that boys chronically misbehave, while women are always victims.  My instincts are that both boys and women come from roughly the same moral culture, but would be happy if someone could show me in some way that women are inherently different in terms of morality and ethics.  I am unapologetically a fan of chivalry, so am guaranteed to treat women differently from men, which is intended as a matter of respect.  But can liberated males really treat liberated women in a way that is identical with how they treat their male comrades?

3 comments:

Max Coutinho said...

Hi Looney,

As a woman, I can say that women can be as conniving, as treacherous, as stalkers as men can be. Women and man are not morally different, are not intellectually different (when they share the same moral and intellectual traits); period.

Physically speaking, women and men are different (thank God). Women are the receiving pole and men the giving pole, period. As such, I appreciate chivalry in gentlemen; I like it when men get up when I walk in a room, I like it when they hold the door for me, I like that sign of respect (not weakness) and it doesn't diminish me in any way. "Man, I feel like a woman" as the song goes.

So, my dear feminists, don't fatigue me with your &%@#- it's démodé.

I like Asian names too, Looney.

Cheers

Looney said...

Max,

I remember hearing once that European feminist are very different from American ones. Wondering if you thought there was any truth to that?

The Women Studies curriculum seems to be quite formulaic here: All you need to know is that men are the oppressors and women are the victims to get an A! Anything more nuanced will get you into trouble!

Max Coutinho said...

Looney,

To me all feminists are crazy, period. My main battle against them is the pro-abortion position. If you claim to defend women's rights, why only defend women's right to be mutilated inside? Why defend their right to murder a foetus and then claim that women are the symbol of life? It doesn't make sense.

But apparently, the new generation of women despise feminists (or at least this crazy version of feminists) and have no problems with admitting that they want to cook for their man, wash his clothes and take care of him...that must be quite a slap in the feminists face.

"The Women Studies curriculum seems to be quite formulaic here: All you need to know is that men are the oppressors and women are the victims to get an A! Anything more nuanced will get you into trouble!"

And what kind of people take Women Studies anyway? :)

I feel that this conversation will bite me in the butt one day, but who cares?

Cheers