Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Yes, Men-toring IS Sexist.

I made the unfortunate mistake of reading this article and found myself face-to-face with my depraved inner self.  Yes, I am a man.  The shame of it.

My previous studies taught me that Mentor was a character from the Odyssey, where he was an old man who served as a teacher sent to guide the son of Odysseus, Telemachus.  Except that Mentor really was the goddess Minerva in disguise.  So I had thought it wise to avoid taking on the role of Mentor lest someone should mistake me for a goddess.  What hadn't crossed my mind was how this was a view brought on by extremist sexism.  Is it really the case that an ordinary male should be ashamed of the more honorable reputation of a woman?  And not just any woman, but rather a goddess?  Clearly my brain was clouded with testosterone.  But then the flip side of it is that both the societies of ancient Greece and modern America are both so patriarchal that they cannot admit even having received critical life counseling from the divine if that divine being happens to be female.  So from now on I shall only refer to Femtor rather than Mentor.  Or perhaps I will start asking young people who your Femtor/Mentor is.

7 comments:

Max Coutinho said...

Hi Looney,

I read that unfortunate article: I sincerely hope that women was being playful, sarcastic, otherwise...poor her.

Instead of looking at all the ways men oppress women, how about looking at all the ways women oppress other women with their stupidity and jealousy? Now that would be quite an article.

I have no patience for feminists, as you know; I thought I'd change over the years but guess what? I haven't.
Thank God today's generation of young women are tired of that feminist/sexist BS.

Looney, you have all the ingredients to be a great Mentor.

Cheers

Looney said...

Max, given that the article was published on a hyper-conservative web site, it is certainly to be read as a spoof!

Rummuser said...

Nuts.

Max Coutinho said...

Looney,

A spoof...good. It's about time that feminists are exposed for their exaggerations, my goodness. They even turned the word into a bad name or something lol.

Cheers

Looney said...

Well, keep in mind that if Charlie Hedbo had regularly used this kind of humor, they would not have gotten any sympathy!

Looney said...

@Rummuser, there is another angle that has been much neglected in the blogosphere. What Mentor taught Telemachus was how to restrain and hide his anger, bide his time, and then get revenge at the opportune moment.

Max Coutinho said...

Looney,

LOL you know?