Saturday, January 10, 2015

Je ne suis pas Charlie

That heading already gets more than half a million hits, so I probably should learn to be more creative.  And before going on, my condolences to the families of those who were murdered.  May God grant you comfort in your mourning and a way to come to terms with the shock that will go with you the rest of your lives.

The favored conservative explanation for my contrarian title is that we live in a censorship crazed West where the number of speech crimes increases constantly so that we almost need to have hour by hour updates to keep from running afoul of the speech gestapo.  And now we suddenly are going to proclaim ourselves in support of Charlie Hedbo?  And would anyone be supporting Charlie Hedbo now if they weren't offering up leftist mockery?  What if they had regularly mocked PETA?  Or Greenpeace?  Or Multi-Culturalists?

I will pick my starting point as the Biblical book of Jude:

"But these people blaspheme all that they do not understand, and they are destroyed by all that they, like unreasoning animals, understand instinctively."

Mocking what you don't understand is a bad idea, whether you are conservative or leftist.  Then there is my Christian viewpoint that the worldly conflicts we see are manifestations of spiritual conflicts of a different sort in another dimension.  Humans are like blindfolded vermin in the middle of different battle lines in the spiritual battle, and we are going to hurl insults at all the nearby combatants?

So I am for free speech at least to the level of trying to make some sensible understanding of the world.  But as a mocker myself, I need to take this more as a self-examination exercise.  I regularly mock or am tempted to mock leftists with their pretenses to knowledge and wisdom.  Yet admittedly, all this does is inflame them all the more against me, and it doesn't help them in the least to come to a correct opinion on anything.  On the other hand, my mocking is usually the result of trying to make some sense of things.  Leftists from what I can tell usually mock as a final goal in itself, although some conservatives do this as well.  This sort of mocking is the worst kind, and makes a mockery of free speech laws at the same time.  If the only purpose of free speech is to mock, then free speech is a worthless commodity.

"Not Afraid"

Brave words.  A bit like kicking a rattle snake while blindfolded.  There is no reason to be afraid of what you can't see.  Just ask the ostrich.

And with that, I will admit that I am doing a lot of censoring of what I write on this topic.  Je ne suis pas Charlie.

No comments: