Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas!

Today we celebrate the coming of Christ.  Since many are fond are quoting sentimental things from the Bible, I will need to do the opposite.  Jesus said:

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth.  I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.  For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.  And a person's enemies will be those of his own household.  Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.  And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.  Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." - Matthew 10:34-39

And so Christ promises peace between his followers and God, in exchange with conflict with the world, reaching even into family relations.  I find this to be more reflecting of the times than the sentimental versions.  And yet it is the peace with God that is the most precious.

5 comments:

Max Coutinho said...

Hi Looney,

Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Amazing quote and I interpret it as Jesus' way of telling the world about God's first Plan - he came to divide the 12 tribes, the next Messiah will unite them.
(I might have a present for you soon about this issue).

Cheers
(I'll be back for the other post)

Looney said...

Hello Max,

Your post about Christmas was quite inspiring.

This passage is one where literal interpretation is fitting when considering current circumstances! But it may have some broader applications as well.

Rummuser said...

I am sorry that I am late Looney. Here is belated Christmas greetings and best wishes for a good new year.

Looney said...

@Rummuser, thanks for the Merry Christmas. Technically, you can't be late on this, since we don't really have an idea on which day Christmas is!

Max Coutinho said...

Looney,

Thank you *bowing*.
So true. Broader implications...doesn't it always?

I finally received the link I wanted to give you: it's Kol Hator
https://web.archive.org/web/20130603151331/http://www.yedidnefesh.com/kaballah/kol-hator/1.htm
This book discusses the Jewish belief that there are Two Messiahs. It is an interesting read and I thought you'd like it (my gift to you).

Cheers