Saturday, October 18, 2014

Getting back into the Swim

Sickness was my normal state for 6 weeks beginning about September 1st.  The last two weeks have allowed me to get back to a "normal" swim distance, which now is a bit less than 3 kilometers, but will increase to 4.5 kilometers next week.  The park opens at 6:30AM, which allows for a fairly dark start using the stars as guides.  The lake temperature has dropped to 67 degrees, which unfortunately is a level where something is happening in the water that makes me itchy.  This should go away once the lake gets a little cooler, giving me an incentive to look forward to the winter lake with its cleaner water.  My warm weather partners all tell me they will stop mid-week swimming on November 1st.  Thus, I may switch my swims to Lake Del Valle since I can swim where I want with no restrictions there, except that I need to respect the limits of hypothermia.

4 comments:

Delirious said...

I got my flu shot. I'm hoping I don't get sick!

Max Coutinho said...

Hi Looney,

Reading this post made me cold. As I am still enjoying hot days, I don't even want to think of winter right now. Anyway, I wish you a safe Swim and listen to your body.

Cheers

Looney said...

@Delirious, I hope you didn't get sick.

I usually get sick just before getting the shot or just after.

Looney said...

@Max,

Hopefully I won't leave you cold too often! The days should be getting shorter for you now. Lisbon is further north than San Francisco.