Thursday, October 23, 2014

Diwali 2014

My wife and I like to take a walk each night.  The lights and candles scattered throughout the neighborhood reminded me of this annual celebration, and checking the net, I see that today is the day.  At least one in ten houses in my neighborhood celebrate this, although it seems to have merged with Halloween decorations in a few cases.  My wife was wondering why the Indian neighbors were so enthusiastic to get Christmas lights going so early.  All is clear now.

The only question in my mind:  Is the arrival of the goddess of wealth and prosperity a blessing or curse in this wealthy land?


4 comments:

Delirious said...

This is what happened to the people in Book of Mormon times when they acquired riches:

17 For behold, the Lord had blessed them so long with the riches of the world that they had not been stirred up to anger, to wars, nor to bloodshed; therefore they began to set their hearts upon their riches; yea, they began to seek to get gain that they might be lifted up one above another; therefore they began to commit secret murders, and to rob and to plunder, that they might get gain. Helaman 6:17

Looney said...

That is more or less along the lines of what I was thinking. For those who have enough to scrape by, more wealth seems to be a curse as often as it is a blessing.

Rummuser said...

It would appear from what I read that the USA certainly can use some prosperity for the bottom of the very shallow pyramid! http://www.india.com/whatever/diwali-2014-special-importance-of-lakshmi-pujan-on-the-third-day-of-diwali-177896/

Looney said...

Certainly some supernatural intervention would seem necessary to address the growing divide between rich and poor. The challenge is that Americans are bitterly divided on what the nature of that intervention should be, so that I think Lakshmi is almost certainly confused by the conflicting prayers and not knowing what to do!