Saturday, August 30, 2014

Too Many Chiefs, Not Enough Indians

Undoubtedly this corporate slogan is now deemed racist towards American Indians and no sensible person would use it for fear of jeopardizing their career.  Nevertheless, it is still used.  It recently came to my attention that "too many chiefs, not enough Indians" is taking on a new life and a new sense of meaning in the melting pot of Silicon Valley where Vietnamese, Chinese, um Indians and other races all work in the same company and compete for the coveted spot of "Chief".  Regardless, I am just one of the Indians, even though I am a Caucasian.  I will leave it to others to determine whether or not there is an appropriate number of Chiefs and Indians and try to stay out of the debate.


5 comments:

Ursula said...

Let's leave aside political correctness, Looney, that most pernicious snake of our times. May we remind ourselves that (American) Indians always had a chief. On which note a thought has just popped into my mind. It'll keep. Don't want to exhaust your patience. Any moment now I'll burst into tears: Do you remember "Little Big Man"?

AS to jostling for position: There is a much simpler saying in the motherland. Yes, they CAN and often DO keep it to the point: Many cooks will spoil the broth.

Monday looming,
U

Ursula said...

Sorry, that should read: "Too many cooks spoil the broth". One could, of course, dive into philosophical depths of what constitutes "too" many. Let's just say that I don't ever tread on anyone else's kitchen patch - though will offer to peel and chop onions and do all other prep which keeps the limelight of glory firmly on the ch(i)ef and the brigade in the shadow.

U

Rummuser said...

Here is an original Indian confirming that in India, the original India that is, it is indeed a problem that we have only chiefs and no Indians. The only genuine anarchy in the world.

Looney said...

U, I had thought that "too many cooks spoil the broth" was an English saying, but now must question my source. I too generally avoid correcting my hosts recipes.

Looney said...

Rummuser, my main reaction is to consider whether the anarchist's most effective strategy is to put in place an excess of government and authority, rather than try to destroy all government and authority.