Sunday, May 04, 2014

Revenge of the Buddha Belly

As always, the first 20 pounds are easy to lose, but then something happens.  Part of the problem was the increased swimming caused me to have some elbow problems, so I had to back off from 4,600 yards per morning to 3,000 yards.  Then I usually let the diet go during the weekend.  The net result was that I only lost one pound last week.  Part of the fast weight loss earlier was also undoubtedly due to rapidly increasing my swim distance, which put a lot of stress on my body.  Of course the body adjusts, both to the increased effort and the lessened eating.

So the next step is to reduce food intake a bit more, and increase exercise to get things back on track.  Since I am limited on the amount of time I am permitted to swim by the park opening hours and my work schedule, the solution is to add in some trail.  Thus, Saturday I did the Mission Peak climb which I haven't done in a long time.  That means I am good and sore today.  It's all part of the fun.  For those who are into the counting, about 3.5 hours of hard exercise consumes roughly the same calories as a pound of fat.  The Mission Peak effort took 2.5 hours, which followed a 1.5 hour 4,600 yard swim.  If only I didn't have to work.



2 comments:

Delirious said...

When we were in Hong Kong, we walked a lot more than we are used to. Every night we would just lay down and groan because of the pain in our feet and knees. It's too bad we couldn't have stayed longer because I probably would have started losing weight, and I think I would have gotten stronger eventually.

Rummuser said...

If my aunt had a mustache I would call her uncle.