Friday, April 25, 2014

Facing The Buddha Belly

My two semesters of seminary classes just finished.  The primary thing that I learned from this is how the Buddha got his belly.  He spent too much time in religious studies and scripture reading and completely neglected exercise.  Than we have the fact that eating is a critical part of religion.  Thus, my weight went up to a record 238 pounds.

Now that the classes are done, I am switching to a Greek stoic/military method for bringing things back to a more sensible value.  This is fully appropriate, since my next task starting in the fall is to study Koine (Biblical) Greek.  For the summer semester, however, I will devote my energies to physical discipline and prepping Greek vocabulary.

This last week's exercise was a 2.5 mile swim each morning before work, for a total of 12.5 miles of swimming so far this week.  The other side of the stoic formula is restricting to one meal a day.  Thus, in ten days my weight is down to 225 pounds.  Hopefully I can keep it up.  Tomorrow will be a 2 hour swim, which should be about 3.5 miles.  The difficulty with this method is that it leaves me constantly fatigued and hungry.  Hopefully I can keep the discipline up for another month.

10 comments:

Delirious said...

I've gained weight here in China because the pollution is so bad that I feel it is unsafe to exercise outside. I'm really not an inside exercise person. So I've got the Buddha belly too. Blah..

Inklings said...

Your discipline always impresses me, Looney. You taking all those classes impresses me, too. :)

Rummuser said...

How tall are you? The rate of loss and the discipline are very impressive.

Looney said...

I am 6 feet tall. The last weight measurement was 221. The program will lose a pound a day, but it will get very difficult to keep it going for more than a month.

Rummuser said...

It still is very impressive Looney. I envy you your commitment.

Ursula said...

Well, Looney, here is my - possibly - most profound thought of the day: Why gain what you later want to lose?

Talking of weight, and please do factor it in: How heavy is your brain? First Hebrew, then ambition to further your German, now Greek.

By Zeus,
U

Looney said...

Ursula, the size of the brain certainly deserves some comment. My hat size is quite small, relative to my body size, so I can definitively say that my brain isn't "weighty". Yet it is certainly a "big head" in the prideful sense of the word.

Max Coutinho said...

Hey Looney,

First, congrats for the completion of your course (עברית?).
Second, congratulations for your commitment to lose weight. Now there is only one thing that is wrong in your programme: one meal a day. With the amount of exercise you are doing, you need three meals a day - only watch out for what you eat (ingest more fruit and veggies than carbs) - otherwise you might collapse one of these days.

Cheers

Looney said...

Max,

I had one class on פרש (the same root as Pharisee). The other class would be קהל.

Certainly I will collapse one day. At the moment I can go probably 4 or 5 hours exercising without eating anything.

Dee Ice Hole said...

I am impressed with your ability to learn languages---and your ability to stick with that double tough diet.