Saturday, January 04, 2014

Alcatraz Result

33:38, was my time if I remember right.  A personal best, but the fast youngsters finished in 22 minutes.  The San Francisco Bay was relatively calm as you can see from the picture below.  No whitecaps.  The water temperature was 51 degrees.  Given my training in 46 degree water, this seemed warm to me.  From the picture below, two were wearing wet suits and one not.  Overall, about 2/3 used wetsuits.  

Usually my breathing rate is the limiting factor on swims, so that I don't feel tired when I am done unless it is a very long swim.  This time, however, my muscles felt like they had a serious workout.  My previous Alcatraz swim times have been from 40 to 50 minutes.  A great way to start the year.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. 


4 comments:

Delirious said...

Pretty good results! Glad you survived. Lol. My body does not do well with the cold. On one hand, I don't tolerate heat well at all. But if I get cold enough to shiver, it seems forever before I can stop

Inklings said...

I am so impressed. Congratulations.

Rummuser said...

Congratulations.

Max Coutinho said...

Hi Looney,

Congratulations! That is awesome. You survived it and I am sincerely proud of you: now I can say that I know someone who participated in the Alcatraz swimming event :D.

Great way to start the year indeed, although it gives me the shivers lol.

Cheers