Sunday, September 29, 2013

Busy Update

The classes are perhaps 1/3 complete.  There is still a lot to do, and all this has to be arranged around work, family and church.

In one of the seminary classes, the professor was lecturing on the benefits of knowing Greek and Hebrew in order to correctly process the language of the Bible.  I am inclined to agree, as were the other students who had studied Greek or Hebrew.  The professor continued noting that most students stop using Greek and Hebrew as soon as they finish their classes and it is mostly forgotten within a year.  Life pressures then kick in, and the reality is that most seminary graduates lose all use of the language shortly after graduating.

I have been attempting a different track.  Since ending the last semester of Hebrew, I have been listening to Hebrew on my commute.  Separately, I just completed lesson 30 of the spoken Modern Greek lessons from Pimsleur. Since I work through the 30 minute lessons at least twice, this has resulted in more than 40 hours of work on Greek concentrating on pronunciation and conversation over the last two months.  The goal is to continue the dual language study up until May 2014.  At this point, the other classes will finish and I can formally start the Biblical Greek classes.  Rather than starting Greek from scratch, however, I should be able to have a simple conversation by then  What would really make me happy, however, is a temporary company shutdown to get some more time.  

5 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hope all goes well, sir...

Rummuser said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/us/bible-college-helps-some-at-louisiana-prison-find-peace.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20131006&_r=0

Looney said...

Thanks Rummuser for that link. Based on the article, I should be well prepared to go to prison when I finish my studies!

Sarah Meyer said...

Hi Looney,
My company is working with author Bruce Matson concerning his new book: The Race Before Us: A Journey of Running & Faith. This book recounts a personal journey of learning to run while exploring questions of faith that lead Bruce from doubt to faith and to physical as well as spiritual well-being. It's an amazing story about being unable to run a mile to running the New York City marathon 11 months later, and it's about an apologetics study featuring his exploration by listening to podcasts by Ravi Zacharias, Tim Keller, and Alistair Begg while stretching 1 and 2 mile runs to 10Ks and 26.2 mile runs. Based upon your own site, we thought you might be interested in Bruce's story and his book. More information is available at www.bhmatson.com.

Please email me if you would like a copy for a book review or I if can assist in any way.

Sarah Meyer
Meyer Media Consultants

Sarah Meyer said...

By the way, my email address is meyermediaconsultants@gmail.com. Thanks!