Monday, August 05, 2013

In Search of the Authentic South East Asia: Off to Bali

The problem with Singapore isn't that there are too many McDonalds.  It is that there are more Prada stores than McDonalds.  Thus, we have headed off to the island of Bali looking for the Real South East Asia.  This is what greeted me as soon as I walked out of the Bali airport:


Now this looks a bit more authentic.  It is a price list for using the toilet.  Maybe someone who knows Indonesian can translate?



A road side shrine.





6 comments:

Delirious said...

Are you on vacation, or a mission?

Max Coutinho said...

Hi Looney,

Aaah, the wonders of globalisation!
I complained about the same thing when I first went to South Africa in the 90's.

Enjoy your trip :D.

Cheers

Inklings said...

McDonald's and such is the real South East Asia in 2013. You are looking for the historical SE Asia :)131 ui Engi

Inklings said...

oops...evidently I typed in the wrong box trying to prove I am not a robot, which I am beginning to think I am.

Marian said...

Howled at the sign. Do you want the translation? Kencing: Number One. B.A.B: Number Two (the direct translation is "throwing out big water"). Mandi: Bathing.

Looney said...

@Delirious, I am with a Chinese tour group. For them they consider it a "vacation", but it seems much more like a "mission" to me.