Friday, July 12, 2013

Keeping up with the San Francisco news: Naming the Asiana airlines pilots.

You would think that in my neighborhood, the San Francisco Bay Area, the local journalists would have learned a bit about Asian names, but ....

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/07/12/ktvu-reports-fake-racist-names-of-asiana-airlines-214-pilots/

I am not sure if MSNBC is making matters better or worse by referring to the names as "racially offensive epithets", given that it is a universal feature of language to use puns on names.

3 comments:

Delirious said...

LOL I saw this on facebook, but thought it was fake. I didn't know a news station actually reported this! Wow, and this in the Bay area!

Rummuser said...

I found it totally in poor taste. If the idea was to be funny, it failed to amuse me.

Looney said...

Rummuser, I agree with you that it was all in very poor taste.

My personal problem is that at every election we have to endure the media "fact checkers" and "truth squads" who will violently condemn something for being only 99% true, and then praise other things that are completely false and destructive to society. Thus, it is the temptation for me to indulge in the sin of Schadenfreude.

Other than that, I teach Chinese teenagers regularly so prefer to remember this event as a tragedy.