Friday, April 12, 2013

One class done, but another to go ...

The first class was the 90 30-minute modern Hebrew audio lessons.  Today I completed the 90th lesson.  These are from Pimsleur.  I have been listening to the new ones twice each time, plus reviewing an earlier one twice, which works out to 2 hours of practice per day.  Certainly a lot of progress has been made, but I have exhausted all their lessons.  Each lesson has about 5 new words, so this works out to a vocabulary of only about 450 words.  I would need about 360 lessons to get up to a sensible level at this rate.  Unfortunately, this is the end of the Pimsleur series, so I would need to find something else, like a tutor.  After today, I will continue with review at about an hour a day for another two months during my commute time, but this should be a lot less stressful than the first time through the material.

Meanwhile, the materials for the third semester of Biblical Hebrew have already arrived.  This will require an average of an hour and a half of work per day up until mid-August.  Since I can't do this during the commute, it won't conflict with the modern Hebrew review.  Onward ...

5 comments:

Delirious said...

We have a french speaking (Madagascar) girl living with us right now. I was thinking today that we should have her teach us French.

Max Coutinho said...

!Looney, שלום

In no time, you will be paying a visit to the Holy Land and communicating in fluent Hebrew :).

I have been going through the same process and finally I am getting closer to where I want to be; but when I listen to native Hebrew speakers talking...my ear isn't quite trained yet.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Looney said...

@Delirious, learning French should be a lot easier than learning Chinese, but beware of the accent!

Looney said...

@Max, keep up the work. Maybe someday we can have a chat in Hebrew!

Max Coutinho said...

Looney,

I will, thanks. I'll be looking forward to it :D.

Cheers