Thursday, April 11, 2013

Engineers Rule, Got That?

Rummuser sent me this article entitled "What Happens When Engineers Run The World".  Since I am both an engineer and the official spokesman for engineering (note: all engineers think they are the official spokesman for engineering), I can't let this pass without comment.  The article begins by noting that 44% of high profile Islamic terrorists are engineers.  Needless to say, I am mostly honored to be part of a group that is out to change the world.  We have been doing this since the invention of the catapult, whereas modern hope & change sorts are really just a bunch of witless noobs who have been active for less than two centuries.  But I should admit that some of the terrorists did such a poor job that they really should have had their degrees rescinded.  The two highest profile terrorist engineers were Osama bin Laden and Yasser Arafat, both of whom weren't mentioned.  Note that they were, um, Civil Engineers, which undoubtedly explains their behavior better.

The article moves on to talk about "software engineers".  I am not at all convinced of the existence of this profession, and will note that most such folks call themselves "computer scientists".  We must keep in mind that a scientist is a degenerate engineer who doesn't actually accomplish anything, but likes to take credit for whatever the engineers actually do achieve.  But admittedly, the programmers also have a mind to change the world, just like the real engineers.  The main difference is that the real engineers agitate on behalf of Sharia Law, whereas Computer Scientists proudly fight for a utopia based on drugs, pimps and sex slave trafficking.  Then there are the softwear engineers.  We won't discuss what they do.

The Engineers Rule article is still too Anglo-centric and misses some key facts, like the Chinese leadership mostly consisting of engineers.  In Israel several of the leaders had technical backgrounds.  Undoubtedly more research is needed on this subject.  Meanwhile, I am expecting that western politicians will figure out that they can easily upgrade their status as whiny lawyers by reclassifying themselves as Polemic Engineers.

9 comments:

Delirious said...

I better not let my son read this. He is majoring "computer engineering". :) I'm not sure how it differs from electrical engineering, but he switched course somewhere along the line because he liked the computer side of things.

Rummuser said...

I wonder if I erred in sending that link to you Looney! My apologies for not being an Engineer. I envy you your elite status.

Looney said...

@Delirious, electrical engineers talk in kilovolts and megaamps, whereas computer engineers talk in volts and microamps.

Looney said...

@Rummuser, I will put my inner engineer back in his cage and all will be well with me again!

Ursula said...

Vorsprung durch Technik.

U

Dee Ice Hole said...

I cannot let this pass without comment since I am a forester and there has been a battle between foresters and engineers since the beginning of time.

First I will go on record saying that Civil Engineer is an oxymoron.

Second I will go on record saying you can tell an engineer---BUT YOU CAN'T TELL THEM MUCH.

Third I have many friends that are engineers and I hope the first two comments don't interfere with our friendship but I just have to say them occasionally when the timing seems right.

Delirious said...

I'm not positive Looney, but I think my son is taking most of the same classes as an electrical engineer, but will shift emphasis soon. He is just trying to pass differential equations right now. lol

Looney said...

@Ursula, thank for highlighting the Audi motto. Now I know why I drive an Audi!

Looney said...

@Delirious, let your son know that it is important for him to pass differential equations. This is what qualifies him to take on the distinctive attitude that Dee Ice Hole highlighted is common to all engineers!