Saturday, April 20, 2013

A Fishing Story

"For man does not know his time.  Like fish that are taken in an evil net, and like birds that are caught in a snare, so the children of man are snared at an evil time, when it suddenly falls upon them." - Ecclesiastes 9:12

I started swimming once a week beginning in March when the water temperature got back up to the 50's.  Now it is up to 60, so we have more swimmers and I can get a partner for weekday swims.  This morning we did 4 kilometers (2.4 miles) in the lake.  On the last leg back, I was intent on getting back and found myself tangled in a fisherman's line.  He wasn't too happy and gave me a gentle scolding for not paying attention.  I though I had enough distance between me and his boat, but the line went out a ways.  Anyway, a bit of patience allowed me to untangle and get moving.  On arriving at the shore, I found out that the lady who was swimming just ahead of me had almost swam into the boat.  We are required to swim with at least one partner and it worked out to be just the two of us this morning.  Thus, I can understand the fisherman's reaction a bit better.

There was a group of a dozen or more swimmers in wet suits all preparing to start swimming just as we were getting dry.  The leader of the group announced the route.  It would lead straight into the fisherman.

6 comments:

Dee Ice Hole said...

Good to hear that you are back at it and are doing well. I was a little worried about you when you disappeared for so long.

Delirious said...

I"m reminded of the scripture that says, "I will make you fishers of men"... ;)

Looney said...

@Dee Ice Hole, I will still be working, commuting, taking classes and helping at church, thus, the blogging time will suffer!

Looney said...

@Delirious, yes, that works too.

Rummuser said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBYzisPonjY

Max Coutinho said...

Hi Looney,

Good thing you didn't panic (many do in similar situations). I have swam against a boat and it hurts like hell; I just hope that lady was ok.

Keep it up.

Cheers