Saturday, March 02, 2013

Sequestered Swimming

Today I got back in the lake after a two month break.  The water temperature is in the lower 50's, which is cold but definitely distinct from the hypothermia experience of the upper 40's.  There was the usual burning sensation for a time and the numbness in the hands and feet.  Exiting the water is the hardest part.  If the hypothermia is bad, you stumble about like a totally inebriated drunkard, but the legs had some feeling and there was no problem.  I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do much, but managed 1,600 yards - nearly a mile.  Two more times and I should be able to stay with the group for the full 3,000 yards.

The discussions before we started were with regard to who in the group was to be effected by the budget sequestration.  A few work for the government.  The plan is to force different agencies to either work 9 days per two weeks or 4 days per week, with a comparable reduction in pay.  For those who are dealing with a $400,000 mortgage on a house that is worth $250,000, this is a really bad deal.  For those of us who swim, however, this seems not to be the situation, so the general agreement was that the forced day off would mean one additional day for a long swim.  The one triathlete in the group will get an extra long day of training.  Yes, we are all thankful for the benefits provided by our government.

2 comments:

Dee Ice Hole said...

Glad to hear you are back at something you love---hope you get your strength back soon. After I turned 58 if I took two days off in a row I had toi start over. Hope this doesn't happen to you.

Looney said...

These days it is hard to do something two days in a row, so I can't quite tell how much I lose! But I am still a bit sore from Saturday.