Saturday, March 09, 2013

Hebrew Bootcamp Continued

Today is lesson 57 of 90 with my Pimsleur series of modern Hebrew tapes.  I am a bit surprised at how far it has gone.  My goal is somewhat being realized, in that many of the modern Hebrew words are related to the Bible.  For example, we learn to say, "Excuse me, can you help me?" in Modern Hebrew, but the word for help, azer, is used many times in the Bible as in "Help us, O Lord" or in the name, Eliezer, which means God is my help.  The purpose of this 90 days of Hebrew lessons is to drill myself on vocabulary so that it won't be forgotten and hopefully the grammar of the Biblical Hebrew will be more natural to me.  Yesterday the amount of studying was only an hour and a half, due to too many things happening, but the average has been more than 2 hours per day.

The tapes are teaching phrases like "You are driving much too fast, can you slow down?".  But there are still things missing, like, "You are driving like a $#@%&$# maniac, are you trying to get us all killed?".  That is probably left for the "advanced" series of lessons.  Only 33 more days of this to go.  Then my last semester of Biblical Hebrew will start.

7 comments:

Dee Ice Hole said...

Hope it goes well.

Max Coutinho said...

LOL LOL LOL LOL...

Hi Looney,

Something tells me that you will only learn "You are driving like a $#@%&$# maniac, are you trying to get us all killed?" in Hebrew when you travel to Israel lol. Or if you meet an Israeli there.

It is good to see that everything is going well in the Hebrew paradise :).

Cheers

Delirious said...

Speaking of languages, I thought you might enjoy this video about chinese relations. :)
http://youtu.be/nCFRoILS1jY

Looney said...

@Dee Ice Hole, I am anxiously awaiting your posts on Spanish!

Looney said...

@Max, there certainly are things that can only be learned in the country where the language is primarily spoken!

Looney said...

@Delirious, Wow, I wish I had that explanation about 30 years ago!

This group has another video on the egg, which was a good reminder of my earlier efforts!

Delirious said...

Hey, that link had a suggestion to go to that guy's chinese classes online. I'm going to check it out. :)