Thursday, February 28, 2013

National Women's History Month?

An announcement for the National Women's History month arrived in my email today.  First - as a disclaimer - I must confess that I am very much pro-women and find their contributions to society to be worthy of enormous praise.  At the same time, however, I am a bit skeptical of this particular movement.  Is there anything in the government's web site that celebrates the women who are successful as a mother and a wife?   How about someone who as mother and wife stood heroically and performed successfully against all odds?  There are some who do this in passing, but it does not seem to be primary.  Nevertheless, there are a few listed in the web site that I am inclined to admire, like Sally Ride.  But then there are several who just seem to be disgruntled because they are disgruntled.  And there is Hillary with her ambitious ambition.  There are plenty of rabble rousers, which may have been necessary for a time, but is this an ideal that we should perpetually strive for and instill in our daughters?  There are some who want to tear up the entire social fabric and replace it with ... with ... uh ...  oh well, they will think of something eventually.

Then there is one day to celebrate integration of the women into the military.  Checking on the polls, it looks like I am in a small minority among those who think women don't belong in the military in combat roles.  Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that "women and children first" isn't quite the norm anymore.

There is something missing from the National Women's History month.  But perhaps I am the one who is confused.  Regardless, I feel like an alien in my own country.


6 comments:

Rummuser said...

You already have a black history month, a white history month, and at this rate you can have each of the 12 months assigned to some category or the other and just have a non stop ball Looney!

Looney said...

Is there a White History month?

But you have a good point. A few centuries back the calendar had a remembrance of a catholic saint or two on each day of the year. Today it is a leftist cause.

Delirious said...

I have to admit that even though I'm a woman, and even though I think women deserve equal rights, I do not like the women's movement. Most of these women want to be treated like a minority. And "women's studies" at most colleges have a whacked out liberal agenda. As a group that is supposed to be standing up for women's rights, they embarrass me. And frankly, they are mostly anti-men, and degrade and belittle men.

When I was in college I went to a book store and was looking through some books that were on the clearance table. One of them had a lot of pictures of the moon in it. I thought my little brother might like it, so I bought it and took it home. It wasn't until I got it home and looked at it more carefully that I discovered it was a "women's studies" book, and had all kinds of weird stuff in it. lol oops.... :D

Rummuser said...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/American-White-History-Month/141145602686587

Looney said...

@Rummuser, I will make a note of the white history month. It is badly overdue.

There is also a South Asian month, but it is only valid in Canada.

Looney said...

@Delirious, my tongue is bitten.