Saturday, February 23, 2013

Downsizing

American tradition is to slowly accumulate car parts, household tools and stuff, sporting goods and children's toys, along with various other paraphernalia.  This ends up in the garage and/or basement where it slowly disassembles and recombines in something that resembles the primordial soup.  Ideally all this steadily increases until death, at which time there is a large garbage mound that the next owner needs to deal with.

The last few days my wife has been diligently going through things to either donate or throw away all the things that were clogging the garage.  Today I was called in to do my part of the chore, which involves coming across a number of items and exclaiming things like "why did I buy that?" or "do you think he might miss it?", as if my children were going to come back home and search for the item.  It does feel good to have most of this gone now.  It is also good to have a lot more room in the garage.

We stumbled across a cassette tape player while rummaging through things.  This leaves me wondering if there is a good way to move all my our old cassette tapes onto mp3 files. The challenge would be to get the audio output of the player sent directly to the computer.  Maybe we can figure this out together with the kids when they come back.

6 comments:

Delirious said...

My daughter recently transferred some cassetted to MP3 for us. I can't remember what program she had to use. I'll try to remember to ask her.

When we came here to China, we had to get rid of our excess junk so that we didn't have to pay to store it. I would be embarrassed to tell you how much we threw/gave away. It kind of makes me want to become a minimalist. But honestly, I think the genetic predisposition for hoarding runs too deep.

Rummuser said...

I am on exactly the same journey Looney and it is often heart breaking. But get rid of stuff I must to move into a smaller place soon.

Looney said...

@Delirious, our move to Japan in the 90's had a similar effect: We disposed of lots and lots of stuff and were amazed at how small a place we could live in. Still, old habits resumed when we returned!

Looney said...

@Rummuser, I think your journey is much harder, since ours does not come of compulsion nor of losing loved ones.

Max Coutinho said...

Hi Looney,

Did that last year: it is incredible the amount of stuff one accumulates over the years.
Then the nostalgia that accompanies the process...it's terrible. But the sense of lightness and levity after the job is done is awesome.

Have a great week.

Dee Ice Hole said...

Can't...quite...bring...myself...to...do...this!!!