Friday, January 04, 2013

Second Semester of Hebrew finally finalized.

Biblical Hebrew likes to reuse the reusage of a verb to emphasize things.  The last bit of work for the class was completed earlier this week.  What a relief!  Just one semester remaining for this Biblical Hebrew sequence which I hope to finish in the summer.  Meanwhile, what to do?  I picked up some Modern Hebrew learning lessons from Pimsleur that I can listen to while commuting.  These seem to be working out quite well.  Much of the grammar and many of the words are the same as for Biblical Hebrew.  My commute takes 30 minutes one way which is the same amount of time as a lesson.  The usefulness of this program is that it forces me to quickly answer questions in Hebrew and work on pronunciation while also reinforcing much of what I already learned.  Learning any language takes a lot of persistence.

3 comments:

Delirious said...

I think I need to learn a new language. I have more time on my hands now, and I should be making better use of it. Now which language to choose? Hmm.....

And on another note, if you haven't already seen this post, check out a little religious humor: http://blackwatertown.wordpress.com/2013/01/05/wwjd-what-would-jesus/

Looney said...

@Delirious, I would be working hard on my Chinese if I were where you are at, but it sounds like you are an expert already!

The link is discouraging to me as I was just getting confident in my exegetical capabilities and realized just how much I fall short!

Max Coutinho said...

Happy New Year, Looney!

Congratulations for the end of the second semester: you survived it :D.
I am reading the Torah everyday now and I reached exactly the same conclusion: classical hebrew reuses the reusage of a verb to emphasize things. I also like it when it repeats an adverb or an adjective to double its intensity. These little things are what make me love learning new languages.

I will check Pimsleur out (I am always looking for new material to improve my learning): thanks.

Lehitraot, Looney!