Thursday, January 03, 2013

Polar Bear Makeup Swim

OK, it is getting seriously cold.  This morning's swim started with a walk over the frozen beach to the water and my legs were truly numb after the 1,600 yard swim.  There was no question of rinsing off afterwards because the shower was frozen.  The other swimmers are bringing warm water to help get feeling back into the body quicker and I will need to start doing this.  Another possibility is to go straight to the car to start warming up before attempting to change.  We will see ...

The last temperature report was a water temperature of 48F (8.9C).  The good news is that this is about as cold as it gets.

3 comments:

Dee Ice Hole said...

Sorry you missed your Polar Bear Swim. I hope that this effort you are making to swim in the cold is worth it but I worry about you getting hypothermia---I am sure you know it kills---I have first hnd experience with it and it is an awful thing. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.

Looney said...

You are certainly correct about the effects. In this case time in the water must be limited, but the hardest part is getting out. A part of me wants to wait for the temperature to come up a little.

Looney said...

@Dee Ice Hole, after more reflection, I think I will hold off on the swimming in the lake for perhaps two months until the temperature comes back up. The exercise is good, and I think the cold can be managed, but only if nothing unexpected happens.