Saturday, January 05, 2013

Life of Pi

Just got through seeing this movie with my family.  Basically it is a Calvin and Hobbes movie with a lot of open water.  What more could I ask for?  

There is a tiger and a young man.  Is the tiger real?  Does the tiger have a separate existence?  Or is the tiger just another version of the main character's persona?  Supposedly it has something to do with God and religion, but what connection isn't clear to me.  But never mind, since I would really rather be out in the ocean enjoying the waves.

7 comments:

Delirious said...

I've heard the book is very good. I haven't read it yet. I think I will put it in my reading queue.

Rummuser said...

Looney, you are the only one apart from me who got the Calvin and Hobbs connection! I am in great company. No sensible Indian of course is willing to accept that, the connection I mean, not the company.

Marian said...

I read the book a few years ago, and it was thought provoking. More importantly however, I'm now kicking myself (hard) for not seeing the Calvin and Hobbes connection. I'm ashamed of myself as a Bill Watterson fan.

Looney said...

@Delirious, you should get the Chinese edition!

Looney said...

@Rummuser, I did very much enjoy the Indian scenes in the movie. My wife said it made her want to take a trip to India.

Looney said...

@Marian, I have visions of many young English majors being inspired to do their Ph.D. dissertations on a comparison of tigers, imagination and imagery of The Life of Pi vs Calvin and Hobbes!

Dee Ice Hole said...

I have heard that on a scale of 1-4 this gets a 3.14159... ;-)