Sunday, December 16, 2012

More Fog and Jonah

We have been swimming along the shore and then diagonally back recently.  This is due partially to the sunrise direction and partially due to the arrangement of who turns back for shorter swims.  The problem this morning was that the wind blew in a thick fog after we reached the far point, so a diagonal swim back across the center of the lake presented some complication.  I really should start swimming with my watch, since it has a compass.  The solution was to swim along the shore for the return also, which increased the swim length to about 2 miles.

I got an excited email afterwards from our official temperature recorder.  The water temperature had dropped to nearly 54F (12C).

To make the time go quicker, it is always good to have something to meditate on while swimming.  During this swim, my Hebrew studies had me reflecting on the book of Jonah:

"Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the fish's belly.  And he said:  
'I cried out to the Lord because of my affliction, And He answered me.  
Out of the belly of Sheol I cried, And you heard my voice.
For You cast me into the deep,  Into the heart of the seas,
And the floods surrounded me; All Your billows and Your waves passed over me.
Then I said, "I have been cast out of Your sight; Yet I will look again toward Your holy temple."
The waters surrounded me, even to my soul; The deep closed around me; 
Weeds were wrapped around my head.'" - Jonah 2:1-5

3 comments:

Delirious said...

I have a great fear (phobia?) of deep water. If I started thinking about that while I swam, I would probably have a heart attack. :)

Dee Ice Hole said...

Hope you are really enjoying yourself. I am in awe that you do all of these things and stay in condition. I am so far out of shape I should be ashamed---BUT I'M NOT ;-)

Max Coutinho said...

Hi Looney,

You are brave; that's all I can say. Like Delirious, I too have a phobia of deep water; specially deep cold water :).

Meditating on Jonah in the belly of a whale while swimming...I can see the relation.

Cheers