Thursday, October 18, 2012

Shadow Cliffs Swim Report.

The Big Dipper is just above the horizon to the port side.  Orion is to the starboard.  That means I am swimming roughly east, which is the intended direction.  The morning swim started in the dark at about 6:05 am with three of us.  The air temperature was about 50 degrees, but the water was a balmy 69 degrees.  This is the first time I have tried to do this since last year, but I managed to complete the 3,000 yard (2.7 km) loop.  It felt good to be back in the water.  About half way through my arms started feeling quite heavy. Last year it would have been easy and I would have been pushing hard, but this time I am mainly just going through the motions.  The group agreed to a 6:30 am start for the next few times.  Starting in November, the park won't open until 7:00 am which will be light, given the time change.

The swimmers itch didn't really bother me this time.  The general advice is to get a shower and scrub down after the swim because this gets rid of most of the problem.  The swim area has an outdoor shower for this.  Most people would probably not think to get a cold outdoor shower in the cool air, but as usual this felt warm after the swim.  The only part of me that felt cold was my bare feet when walking on the cold sand and concrete.  This cools faster than the water.  Part of me said I need to get some flip flops.  The other part says that I should just tough it out and get used to it because things are going to get colder.

7 comments:

Dee Ice Hole said...

Glad you had a great swim,---hope you can continue without the itch.

Max Coutinho said...

Hey Looney,

You are back to swimming: good for you :D. But I still think you are looney for swimming in chilly weather ;).

I laud your courage, my friend.

Have a blessed weekend.

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Looney said...

@Dee Ice Hole, there is only one bite and it isn't too bad. They will probably be recruiting me for the new year's day polar bear swim soon!

Looney said...

@Max, it hasn't gotten cold yet. Keeping the health up is always a bit of work.

Looney said...

@Steve, I usually link to blogs where I have some sort of dialog.

Satire And Theology said...

'but I managed to complete the 3,000 yard (2.7 km) loop.'

Impressive.