Saturday, October 27, 2012

Fremont Eid al-Adha festival.

My wife was wondering about the commotion at our nearby park.  She had an event at the park the same time as the festival, thus, unexpectedly putting her in the center of a lot of congestion.  I was checking out the Chinese news agency, Xinhua, and came across a note that jogged my mind and pointed me to the event.  Xinhua has quite a collection of photos.  Dr. Wiki gives a description of Eid al-Adha here.  For Christians, this is a significant event also as it is a reminder of the Biblical story of Abraham when God tests him by asking him to sacrifice his son, Isaac, to prove Abraham's trust in God.  God stopped Abraham when it becomes apparent that he would be fully faithful.  Mohammed changed Abraham's son Isaac to Ishmael on retelling the story.

There is plenty of symbolism surrounding Isaac and Ishmael, so there is quite a difference in implied theology.  As Christians, we also view that a son had to be sacrificed to reconcile God with Man, and that this sacrifice that Abraham was willing to do was simply not sufficient.  Thus, God stops Abraham because God's only son, Jesus, would become the sacrifice on the cross to provide the hope of salvation to all people.

5 comments:

Ursula said...

God dammit, Looney. If there was one story line I hated as a child (still do) it's that of Abraham. Not only did he take his son like a lamb to slaughter but himself too. If I'd been his wife I'd divorced him on the spot. Not just because no child of mine is put on an altar to test my man's faith in anything but because I would not wish to be with a man who needs to prove anything to anyone.

U

Delirious said...

I'm wondering if in their version, Isaac spares his son. And what is their take on the symbolism?

Looney said...

@U, I am skeptical of that comment. The man who does not need to "prove anything to anyone" is a deadbeat.

According to some recently discovered Ugaritic documents, Sarah found a divorce lawyer, but the Canaanite court just laughed at her for trying to get a divorce when she was 96 years old.

Looney said...

@Delirious, there doesn't seem to be much symbolism in the Koran directly. My sense is that Islam is more about the rituals than the symbolism.

Johnson said...

Nice information. Keep it up! Thanks for sharing valuable information.

Fremont divorce attorney