Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Back to the early morning lake swim ...

It has been a year since Whooping Cough put an end to my serious swimming.  I have done some pool swimming recently, but that has maxed out at about a mile of swimming each time.  It is too tedious and we have to share lanes. This morning a water polo team from a nearby high school took over a third of the lanes since their regular pool had equipment problems, making the regular swim lanes especially crowded.  With the pre-dawn lake swims, I only need to figure out how to share a 1 square kilometer patch of water with three other swimmers.

Tomorrow morning I will give a try at Shadow Cliffs again.  The regulars are still there going strong at 6:00 AM.  I checked to see if I could join them and the response was favorable, so I will try again.  It is generally dark at 6:00 AM and we swim 1200 yards (2/3 mile, 1.1 km) to the far side.  There is a streetlight to help guide us, although they told me the lake was fogged in a few days ago which would have made it especially eerie on the early crossing.  Coming back is when things start to get light, at least if the sky is clear.  This should be a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Delirious said...

I have a thing about water, especially dark, murky water. Be careful!

Dee Ice Hole said...

I am glad that you are feeling well enough that you are getting back into the swimming. I know that was important to you a while ago.