Thursday, October 25, 2012

6 AM at the lake.

It is a half mile to the shore on the other side, but we usually start by swimming about 3/4 mile on a course that leads into a far cove to the right.  The lights are amplified by the time exposure on the camera, but it is still possible to use them for navigation ... except when the fog gets really thick.  The water temperature was checked at 67 degrees yesterday and this morning's air temperature was 56 degrees.  We did a long 3,000 yard loop, then finished up with an out and back for a total of 4,600 yards (4.2 km, 2.5 miles).

Delirious asked why I don't wear a wet suit.  None of the four of us wear one, so I will give a list of the top ten reasons that we don't wear a wet suit to keep warm during the swim.

10. Wet suits get me all chaffed up and sore.
9. Wet suits aren't fashionable.
8. Wet suits add some buoyancy and disrupt the swimming stroke.
7. We are getting ready for the annual polar bear swim, and we need to acclimate so that we will be ready for the 48 degree water that is typical for the New Year's day swim.
6. The women who swim with us don't use wet suits, and it would be humiliating if people thought the ladies were tougher than me.
5. I am too cheap to buy a wet suit.
4. The lake monster likes to eat seals, and a wet suit would make me look more like a seal.
3. Only the new open water swimmers use wet suits.
2. There is no good place to hang my wet suit at work after the swim and I don't want to leave it all wet in the car.
1. Swimming in cold water without a wet suit consumes 50% or more calories than would be used otherwise, making this great for fitness.
0. The Earth will end by fire, so we must enjoy the cold while we can.

5 comments:

Delirious said...

LOL
Looney, I never knew you were so fashion conscious!

Rummuser said...

Way to go Looney! I like your excuses.

Looney said...

@Delirious, given your current post on your blog, just imagine putting a 50 year old body into a sleek swimmer's swimsuit that is designed for a 20 year old body. Then consider the fashion difficulties.

Dee Ice Hole said...

Some say the world will end with fire.
Others say with ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those that favor fire.
But if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate,
To say that for destruction ice,
Is also great and would suffice.
Robert Frost

Be careful out there.

Inklings said...

:0)