Thursday, July 05, 2012

Hippolytus of Rome (170-235AD): Christ and Anti-Christ.

This short work is a summary of views about the Anti-Christ from about the year 200.  Passages from throughout the old testament and new testament of the Bible are gathered up including quotes from the book of Revelation.  The use of Revelation is of some interest, since some have argued that the early church didn't accept Revelation and have tried to argue that it is spurious.  This usage certainly puts the squeeze on a timeline between John's writing of Revelation and the acceptance of the book as authoritative.

I haven't spent a lot of time comparing and contrasting views of future prophecy among Christians.  The only thing I will note here is that his views sound very much like modern dispensationalists.  What is distinct is that he asserts that the anti-Christ will be a Jew coming from the tribe of Dan.  Otherwise he does not spend a lot of time speculating on the anti-Christ being any particular person of his era.

2 comments:

Delirious said...

I have to admit that this is a subject I really don't know a lot about. That could be because the scriptures don't give us a lot of information. But we do believe there will be a great anti-christ that will be involved in the final world war. This is a subject I need to study more. I might add that I think some people use the word "anti-christ" too flippantly, and call anyone who disagrees with their religious views an "anti-christ". Here is a definition that I found our church's guide to the scriptures: "Anyone or anything that counterfeits the true gospel plan of salvation and that openly or secretly opposes Christ. John the Revelator described the antichrist as a deceiver (1 Jn. 2:18–22; 4:3–6; 2 Jn. 1:7). The great antichrist is Lucifer, but he has many assistants, both spirit beings and mortals.

The son of perdition opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God, 2 Thes. 2:1–12
He deceives them that dwell on the earth by the means of miracles, Rev. 13:13–17"
I left out the Book of Mormon sections, but there are several examples of antichrists in the Book of Mormon. Oh, and as I was reading, I realized that I shouldn't add the hyphen that I did above, but I'm too lazy to fix it. :)

Looney said...

I certainly agree with you that anti-Christ can be used quite carelessly.