Monday, April 02, 2012

Irenaeus:  Against Heresies

Gnosticism 101.  In the interest of completeness, I have started listening to this long work.  There are summaries of this work out there, so I won't repeat this in any detail.  What stands out to me is the way Irenaeus goes on and on and on describing all the primordial beings and stories that one gnostic sect has come up with.  And this is just a summary.  The Bible is then grafted onto these stories as the various Bible stories and characters are deemed to be symbolic of some spiritual event in some other mystical dimension.  It all reminds me a lot of the views of the hippies that I spent time with back in the 70's.  I have listened to one hour of this work.  Another 24 hours of exciting listening remains.

2 comments:

Max Coutinho said...

Hi Looney,

"various Bible stories and characters are deemed to be symbolic of some spiritual event in some other mystical dimension."

How so?

Cheers

Looney said...

Max, I did a post to try to answer that question!