Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hebrew trivia.  Bethlehem (בֵּית לֶחֶם) means House of Bread.

Checking with Dr. Wiki would have been easier.  My Hebrew class has us reading (slowly) from the Book of Ruth, which uses this word many times.  It takes on a bit different feeling reading how Elimelech, Naomi and their two sons left the House of Bread due to a famine.  It is God's provision of bread that causes Naomi to return to the House of Bread after her husband and sons died.  They tell me that the books of Ruth and Jonah are the easiest to read and understand when learning Hebrew, so they are required for elementary study.

I am on lesson 20 out of 22 for the semester.  Just hoping to scrape through with a B, but I certainly feel like it has been a productive journey.

3 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'Checking with Dr. Wiki would have been easier.'

He needs a double check too for blogs. Especially if in an academic work needs checking. I did not use Wiki for my Wales theses work. There is usually no documented author.

Looney said...

Certainly I agree that what is written there isn't to be taken too seriously. If I pick the article on Augustine, the subsection on Just War is completely wrong. The links to other articles are the thing I find most useful, and as a starting point for pursuing various directions of study.

Delirious said...

It is interesting that Jesus called Himself the "Bread of Life", and was born in the "house of bread".