Friday, April 27, 2012

Hebrew listening challenges.

One of my assignments for the Hebrew class is to listen to Hebrew every day and read along with it.  Now that I am nearing the end of the class, the continuation of this exercise is on my mind, but the supplied listening material just covers Genesis 12-16.  I really don't want to keep re-listening to the same material.

There are online Hebrew readings of the Bible, such as the one here.  The problem with this is that they read much too fast for me to follow along and read out loud with them as a pronunciation exercise.  What to do?  The solution I have is to use Audacity to convert the mp3 file to about half speed.  This nicely changes the pitch of the reader's voice to something closer to Darth Vader.  Hopefully I will be able to accurately mimic this.

3 comments:

Vid said...

(If you have the same version of Audacity I do)you can change the "tempo" instead of the "speed" of an audio clip in order to keep the pitch out of dark-side territory while still slowing it down.

Looney said...

I did see the tempo button, but didn't give it a try yet. Will test it later today ...

Delirious said...

lol I'm imagining you speaking Hebrew like Darth Vader. I think you may just need to post a video of that. :)