Thursday, December 29, 2011

Engineering Tourism.

One of my previous tasks involved Earthquake Engineering methodologies.  Thus, this place was truly a special treat.  Look at the pictures carefully!









The structure was built over eight years beginning in 1990.  A year after completion an earthquake did the damage above.  The Taiwan government decided to preserve this crumpled temple as a monument to the quake.  I heard some snarky remarks, but was too busy inspecting columns to even think about such things.

3 comments:

satire and theology said...

Still interesting architecture even with the damage.

Delirious said...

I remember when our temple was being built in Taipei, and the church was doing earthquake retrofitting (is that the right term?), the locals thought we were crazy. They just didn't see much of that kind of construction.

I have to admit that I used to be nervous about living in a tall apartment building when I was in Taiwan. Even more so in China where I lived on the 23rd floor. I just didn't trust their construction techniques. I never experienced an earthquake in either place, but I did feel some tremors that were a little nerve wracking.

Dee Ice Hole said...

Perhaps they did it right during construction---it didn't all fall down.