Thursday, November 17, 2011

Timeless.

This post is to lament the disappearance of my Casio Pathfinder watch.  If it had been a mere Rolex, I would not be in mourning, but a Casio Pathfinder is something different.  The altimeter and compass accompanied me over countless mountains in the fog, letting me know where I was and what direction I should go.  She accompanied me on swims to and fro around Alcatraz and on bicycle rides for great distances.  We have trekked through scorching desert heat and gone to frozen mountain summits.  Even on the airplane she provided me with additional data regarding the ascent and descent of the plane together with information about the cabin pressure management of different aircraft.

We first met each other at a watch store in the mall near the University of California, San Diego.  My daughter had just started there in 2004 and we were accompanying my daughter to get her settled in.  As we were shopping we came upon a little shop where my eyes were somehow drawn to the Casio's beauty.  It was love at first sight.  The band was just the right kind that I could be comfortable with.  The display large enough to be clearly seen in various lighting conditions.  It was heavy duty.  The store keeper told me how this watch was the kind that was issued to US soldiers and that one and had helped keep him alive.  I purchased her and brought her home with me.

The relationship continued faithfully for many years.  All the other watches that had been in my life I put aside and cherished this one alone.  So it continued until my beloved watch became sick about two years ago.  I took her to a nearby repair shop to see if the battery replacement would solve things.  The repairmen looked at it and informed me that this kind of watch has four batteries and would need additional cost to repair.  With this input, I knew why it was that she had seemed so electrifying, so I immediately said "fix her whatever the cost".  This done, we went our way and cherished two more years of intimate companionship.

But now she is gone.  Oh how I miss her!  My wife pulled another watch from the drawer which my son inherited from me, but then gave back.  This is a Polar heart rate monitor watch which is also good for sports, but lacks the compass and altimeter.  Somehow I can't bring myself to go back to this earlier acquaintance.  Yes, the Polar watch still has the appearance of youth and beauty like when she was new, but it is hard to move on when my heart still yearns for my true love.

9 comments:

Delirious said...

She is probably living with my husband's two pair of glasses that he has lost in the last six months....

Rummuser said...

"You taught me how to love; you taught me how to live; you taught me how to laugh; you taught me how to cry, but when you left, you forgot to teach me how to forget you."
~ Hendie

Dee Ice Hole said...

I recommend that you go out and find another---just like the one you just lost. I love my little calculator watch.

Looney said...

Delirious, did you see my wife's response to the question about "yao"?

Inklings said...

My condolences.

Ursula said...

Tragic. Try and live without running hot water.

Looney, what on earth do you need a "pathfinder" for? You read philosophy. Still, am happy to bark up some tree with you. Not even time will tell us how wrong we are. Your wife will.

Don't get lost. Follow your nose. The sun tends to set in the West.

U

Delirious said...

Yes, I did see the comment, and it helped me feel not quite so crazy. :) I don't know who made that original connection for me, that made me think that way.

Delirious said...

Oh, and thank you very much Mrs. Looney. I am getting senile, and thought I had answered you. lol

Looney said...

Ursula, the link between philosophy and Pathfinder watches is quite profound. The original philosophy/guru types all grew up in palaces and couldn't find anything without the help of a eunuch. Heading off into the mountains, they quite obviously got lost immediately and were never able to find their way out, thus, the need to seek them out in the mountains.

Since this was bad for sales, a clever marketing type came up with the notion that gurus weren't lost, but instead had arrived. Nirvana was coined and sent to the publicity department with well known success.

I am not trying to make a living as a guru or a psychiatrist, thus, the need to keep a clear sense of direction in my life as well as knowing my place in the universe. The Pathfinder watch is perfect for this.