Friday, November 25, 2011

Immanuel Kant (1724-1804): Then a miracle occurs.




In the Critique of Pure Reason, Kant starts out being dismissive of all dogmatic proclamations of metaphysics.  He then moves into his transcendental doctrines where I soon found myself overwhelmed with distinctions that relate to the same general topics that are included in the collection of dogmatics known as Aristotle's Organum.  Yikes!  This is problematic since I can't process the material at the speed of the spoken word and clearly need to do some remedial work, starting with completing my own reading of Aristotle's Organum.  It is also problematic because Kant's Skeptical starting point is not capable of deriving anything, yet he is effortlessly deriving all kinds of stuff.  Thus, the cartoon.  The other thing I need to do is to read some commentaries on these works to make sure I am processing things without deviating too far from the correct understanding.  More work and all for a good cause ... if only I could define 'good' and 'cause'.

2 comments:

Dee Ice Hole said...

UUUUMMMM---that is the reason that I really never understood math. My word verification this morning is toughyi ;-)

Looney said...

My main difficulty was with English. :-)