Friday, July 08, 2011

Jitters.


Coach Pedro is giving a briefing on how to swim around Alcatraz.  I drove an hour and a half into the Presidio to hear this talk along with most of the other swimmers.  The poster on the right shows the correct way to do the swim which is a "figure 8" driven by the currents.  Pedro did the swim while dragging a GPS unit along and found that he covered 4 miles.  That is a bit more than I anticipated, but I should be ready for it.  What to do if a large container ship comes by?  Answer:  Tread water and wait for it to pass, then continue on.  They promised to adjust the completion time accordingly.  

The water temperature is between 59 and 62 degrees.  The other tidbit is that the extra runoff from the Sierras is causing the ebb tide to be stronger than the flood.  One of the pilots engaged me in conversation and told me of last year where a swimmer was caught up in a whirlpool off Alcatraz for 15 minutes with no progress although swimming steadily.  Gotta get some sleep.

4 comments:

Jo Lynn said...

Good luck! Sounds crazy to me.

Delirious said...

I'm getting the jitters and I"m not even the one swimming. I'm going to pray for you!!

Inklings said...

Good Luck! I'm thinking along the same lines as Jo Lynn and Delirious.

Looney said...

Thanks for all the encouragement. I completed the swim and will have to get a report up later when my head clears!