Sunday, July 10, 2011

Aristotle:  Belly Gods.

This is part of an extended section describing those who are self-indulgent, such as I am with regard to sporting events.  The concept extends to many other areas:

"Hence these people are called belly-gods, this implying that they fill their belly beyond what is right. It is people of entirely slavish character that become like this." - Nicomachean Ethics, III.11

Bible students should immediately recognize the phrase:

"For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with many tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.  Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame.  Their mind is on earthly things." - Philippians 3:18-19

Presumably belly-god was a well known reference to the self-indulgent that Paul is reusing.  I have to wonder if there is any connection between the above and the rising obesity rates in the US.  Now if only I could hide my stomach ...

No comments: