Monday, May 16, 2011

Claremont School of Theology to offer degrees for Rabbis and Imams.

A couple is donating $40 million to make this happen at the United Methodist school.  Sometimes I think I am getting numb to all the insanity that afflicts Western Post-Civilization.  But then someone always manages to come along and take things to an entirely new level.  The rebuttal to this is that this school probably hasn't been doing any genuine Christian training for more than a century, so they need to branch out in order to attract more students.  On the other hand, they might want to consider teaching something that would be at least recognizable by John & Charles Wesley.  Nah, that wouldn't be any fun.

What would be fun would be to give seminary classes on how to make suicide vests and sneak unseen into a market on the one hand, and separate seminary classes on how to identify suicide terrorists and smoke out bomb factories ... all under the same roof.  That would truly have some novelty value.

5 comments:

Rummuser said...

I join you in your despair. This is not likely to work the way it is expected to. One player is unlikely to change ways to respect and accommodate other beliefs.

Looney said...

Yes, I believe it won't work in the way that is expected, but on the other hand, I am not exactly sure what is expected! My instincts say that they will produce some phony imams who will then give college lectures and go on talk shows and give a completely erroneous picture of Islam to any American who will listen.

Max Coutinho said...

LOL Looney, hello...

You kill me, man!

Is Claremont School of Theology trying to become an inclusive theological college, or something?

I don't know whether Orthodox Rabbis would find this offer appealing, but on the other hand the Reformist and Conservative Rabbis might find it awesome.

As for the seminars on the suicide vests: I would take that one to learn how radicals think (I swear: I can't seem to bring myself to understand their line of thought...they claim to be servants of Allah and yet kill in His name - quite antithetical, isn't it?).

I have probably said this before, but I will repeat it: I love your sense of humour!

Cheers

Looney said...

Max, thanks for your wonderful comment! Yes, they are being "inclusive" in a sense, but the unspoken line is about what is excluded.

Max Coutinho said...

Looney,

You are most welcome :D.

I hear you! Often, was is not said (or apparent) is what is louder and more dangerous.

Cheers