Saturday, May 28, 2011

Church Advertisements ... Striving to be constructively radical.

The first is from Fremont Community Church.  It has two services.  The first is at 9am and is "contemporary".  The second is at 11am and is labeled "informal".  But what is the difference between contemporary and informal?  And what if I happen to be in the mood for an Eastern Orthodox mass?  

The second is from Crossroads Church in Fremont.  Here is the first part:

"Crossroads grew out of the belief that because people are different from one another, churches should be also."

I am not sure that this is Biblical, but it sounds cool and trendy so we will file that away in a safe place for the moment and continue on:

"We believe there is a great need for church services that address the real needs of people through a variety of contemporary methods, such as upbeat music, creative arts and relational teaching."

So the Gregorian Chant is out.  I have to wonder what "relational teaching" is.  Is that the same or different from "teaching by teaching"?  Other than this, it sounds like the same old story that we get everywhere.

"We believe church is a place to worship and not make fashion statements.  We encourage people to dress in appropriate, modest and comfortable clothing.  T-shirts, jeans, shorts and sandals are welcome!"

Given that the dress code in most churches these days has everyone looking like a beggar with worn out clothes that were purchased at a thrift store, I am still struggling to reconcile that with the first statement that churches should be different from one another.  OK, I am not really struggling with the conflicting notions.

What I am struggling with is the fact that the most important thing to advertise in a church these days is the lack of a dress code.  At the same time, I would imagine that an enthusiastic aboriginal convert to Christianity would want to wear his best necklace of shrunken heads to church to celebrate what the Lord has done for us by saving us from our sins through the work of Jesus on the cross.  But I guess that would be wrong because the aborigine would be trying to make a fashion statement.

7 comments:

thekingpin68 said...

'At the same time, I would imagine that an enthusiastic aboriginal convert to Christianity would want to wear his best necklace of shrunken heads to church to celebrate what the Lord has done for us by saving us from our sins through the work of Jesus on the cross.'

Funny.

Looney said...

Does the UK have a pattern of organizations boasting of their being different, yet all ending up the same?

Rummuser said...

It is a sign of our times that religion has to be advertised as a product! Wonderful.

Delirious said...

The only advertising we do is through our missionaries. ;)

Delirious said...

Oh wait..that isn't true. I forgot about the television commericals and radio spot. :) I was thinking about billboards and signs out front when I wrote that last comment.

Looney said...

Delirious, I recall the LDS advertisements. There are some billboards on 680 advertising the Supreme Master and Islam.

Delirious said...

I haven't seen the billboards before.

About the clothing people wear...

I was taught by my parents that I should wear my best clothing (not black tie :) to church. Sometimes we have people come who are not members, or who have not been active members who wear more casual clothing. Of course we welcome them however they come. But I think as they see how other people are dressed, they naturally want to dress better. I think dressing nicely shows respect. I mean, we are taking part in the sacrament, which is a very sacred ordinance, and we should dress to show reverence for that.