Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Bible passage for today's election?

"But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God - having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.

They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth." - 2 Timothy 3:1-7

There is more to it than that, and admittedly I have committed every sin on the list except two.

3 comments:

Curious Bunc said...

Hmmm now which two would that be ....

Livingsword said...

Hi Looney…

Fabulous passage….

All but two for me…but I did the others a lot…I am a sinner thank God for grace….and His transformation powers…

The word “worm” caught my attention so I thought I would do a quick word study…I see you quoted the NIV for “worm” TNIV is “worm”, NASV is “enter”, NLT is “work their way into”, KJV and NKJV is “creep”, the ESV is “creep”, The Message paraphrase says “smooth-talk themselves into”…the Greek means “to sink into”, “sneak” or “creep”…I think the “worm”, “creep” and “smooth-talk themselves into” capture the context quite nicely…“worm” is helpful because of the “sink into” part…

Looney said...

For curious bunc (I am always amazed at how many forms bunc has! Does it come in more varieties than looney?) the worming into other people homes was one that I haven't done, but as LS has some noted, "smooth-talk themselves" would perhaps be a better translation, and, well, "smooth-talking" isn't exactly my strong point!