Sunday, July 06, 2008

Seneca Letter LXXVIII:

"For a life spent viewing all the variety, the majesty, the sublimity in things around us can never succumb to ennui: the feeling that one is tired of being, of existing, is usually the result of an idle and inactive leisure. Truth will never pall on someone who explores the world of nature, wearied as a person will be by the spurious things"

and

"As Posidonius said, 'In a single day there lies open to men of learning more than there ever does to the unenlightened in the longest of lifetimes.'"

All this is idle boasts. Yes, learning and exploring nature are my hobbies, but I believe there are more people who experience a fulfilling life among the simpletons than the sophisticates. I have also encountered plenty of learned people who were no less disturbed in their soul. Jesus tells us this:

"I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." - Mark 10:15.

It should be little wonder why the philosophy of the stoics was no match for the growth of Christianity.

2 comments:

Bunc said...

Hi Looney, just popped in to say hello. My mum passed away recently so as you can imagine my mind has not been much on blogging recently.

I had a quick scan of your conversation with LRD. Hmmm. Have you read his blog? You described him as bursting with ideas, thats sure one description.

Anyway I hope things are well with you and yours.

I wrote a poem for my Mum which I presented as part of the eulogy that my brother and I did at her service. (Probably the hardest bit of public speaking I ever have or ever will do). I have posted it on my blog in memory of my Mum.

Looney said...

Hello Bunc,

It is good to hear from you, although I am sad to hear about your Mom. I will head over and take a look.